April 18, 2012

Foot In The Door

It seems that this whole not freaking out at work thing is working. I've been calm at work and still knocking it out just fine. In fact, I'm more caught up than I thought I would be.

On my lunch break I called that head hunter as I hadn't heard from him since his last e-mail last Wednesday. I waited because I didn't want to seem pushy. I was fully expecting to get his voice mail. Surprisingly he answered. I told him that I was just following up. And it was a good thing I did. He hadn't submitted my resume to that job he told me about because he had thought the interviews were over shortly after he had spoken to me. He just found out that interviews are actually being held late this week and early next week. So he said he would go ahead and submit my resume to them today.

This is the first head hunter I've ever dealt with, so I have no idea how this works. One thing I know for sure is that it's completely up to the company in question as to whether or not I get an interview. I figure if I don't hear anything by next week Wednesday then the company isn't interested in me.

Master says I should probably still reach out to the head hunter to see if they have anything else available. I just don't want to seem pushy or anything like that. Like I said, I've never dealt with this before. Hell, I've only dealt with a temp company once and that was to get my foot in the door at the place that eventually hired me after my 90 days with the temp place. Other than that it's always been me applying directly and it goes from there.

So I figure I'll keep tossing my resume out there and see what happens. I'm not going to totally rely on the head hunter, obviously.

Honestly I haven't been doing that very much lately. I don't think I've tossed my resume out in about two weeks. I need to get back at that. Maybe I'll do that tonight. I'll take a peek at the job websites and see what's out there. Hopefully I'll come across something that I can apply for.

If I get an interview for the job the head hunter is applying me for, great! If not, I'm not going to cry over it. I really do want the job, don't get me wrong. Why? Well, I know I can do it and I know the pay is really damn good. Significantly more than I'm currently making. Yeah, it'll suck and I'll be slightly bummed if nothing comes of it but what are you gonna do?

Nothing but keep trying to get my foot in the door somewhere.

My job doesn't suck or anything. Although at this point I do feel a bit underpaid simply because of how much the job has changed. It's a hell of a lot more difficult than it was even six months ago. But ya know, you don't get paid more just because the job gets more difficult. You go in, you do your job and you collect your paycheck and shut up.

2 comments:

  1. It's worth checking with the headhunter regularly if you can (once every week or two), assuming this job doesn't work out. The one concern I'd have with this particular headhunter is that he didn't submit your resumé when he said he would. Still, I'd call if you don't hear anything in a week. It might mean the company didn't want to interview you or it might mean they've been delayed interviewing. And if it turns out that *again* the headhunter didn't do anything, you know it's not worth dealing with this particular person. Otherwise, in job searches anything that helps, do it. Calling a head hunter or recruiter once a week is not something they'll consider annoying. Daily would be too much. But calling regularly to check in reminds them that you're still interested and looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete