August 9, 2014

When It Rains It Pours

Well... I thought that there was nothing else that could add to the huge pile of stress that we already have. I was wrong. Apparently our car wanted to get in on the action as well.

Thursday all of a sudden she started running really rough. (I refer to my car as a female. Hush.)  What the fuck? The check engine light wasn't on or anything so I figured I had just gotten some bad gas from the gas station. After all, it hadn't started until after I put gas in the car that day so to me that was a logical conclusion. Well, yesterday I was driving down to my mother's to help her out with some things and as I'm driving down there all of a sudden the check engine light comes on. Mother. Fucker. Thankfully I was only about 10 minutes away from my mother's so I got her there and put her in park. When I got out of the car my mom asked me why I looked pissed off. I told her and she told me to take the car up the street to the mechanic both her and my brother use and trust. Normally I only go to our mechanic up by us because I trust them. But hey, if both my mother and brother trust these people I'll go there.

Yeah. Well... It's a damn good thing I did. Holy shit. First, I would just like to say that whenever I go to "our" mechanic up here and they do an oil change they are suppose to do a 20 point inspection of the car. The place I went to yesterday also does that. I needed to get her an oil change anyway so I asked them to do that and read the code that the car was throwing that was causing the check engine light go on.

Apparently "our" mechanic wasn't doing the 20 point inspection they told me they were doing. When the mechanic I went to yesterday came out to tell me what was up he simply asked me to come back with them to where my car was. That is not a good thing. The minute a mechanic asks me to come look at our car so they can show me what is wrong I feel a knot form in my stomach.

Let's see here...

The list of all of what needed to be done and was done were the following:
  • Spark plugs and wires
  • PCV valve and tube
  • Valve cover gasket and plenum
  • Lower engine mount
  • Rear watts link
  • New wiper blades
Okay, so the new wiper blades were no big deal although I was annoyed because we had literally bought new ones earlier this year. Apparently they weren't very good ones since the rubber was already coming off of the damn things. 

But that's not the point. The mechanic we have always gone to, that I had trusted because they never seemed to lie to me or steer me wrong, had missed a few things. And it's not like they were small things! Some of those items, namely the rear watts link and the lower engine mount had obviously needed to be done for quite some time. And if it's obvious to me, who is not a mechanic, you would think an actual mechanic would have mentioned it before now. I'm not talking a couple of months either. I'm talking a good long while. Also, the spark plugs were so bad that you couldn't even see one of them anymore because they were flooded with oil.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

How in the hell can our mechanic miss all of that?!

The one I went to yesterday was very nice and I really appreciated the fact that he took me back to our car to show me everything because otherwise I don't think I would have believed him. I don't automatically think that mechanics are lying to me but I was just amazed that our mechanic had never mentioned any of this. And no they didn't find all of this because of car code. They did that last. This was all from the 20 point inspection that our normal mechanic is supposed to be doing every oil change but obviously hasn't been.

The mechanic I went to yesterday said flat out he was surprised that we hadn't been in an accident yet due to some of these things.

Oh, and the oil change? He threw that in for free.

Normally I would piece meal fixes because of finances but these were so dangerous that I couldn't afford not to have them done right then and there. They told me that they could get them all done that day so I got a ride back to my mother's house and left our car there to get fixed.

I called Master once I got back to my mother's house. He was pissed. Not at me or anything but at our mechanic. Not only should they have informed us of all of this but we could have been in a serious accident due to some of these and severely injured.

Needless to say we will no longer be going to what was "our" mechanic. Fuck that. It makes me wonder if they were waiting for this shit to break fully and then just replacing it then so we'd basically be in a bind and they could charge us more since it was fully broken rather than just needing to be replaced so it doesn't fully break.

We do need to get our rear brakes done soon but it wasn't an immediate need and the bill was already high (although lower than what we would have paid up here) so I put that off which the mechanic said would be fine. He said it's not an immediate concern but would need to be done sooner rather than later.

Guess what? When those get done I'm going to the mechanic I went to yesterday not the one up here. Hell I won't even take our car for an oil change there anymore. Obviously they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing. Assholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment