February 23, 2014

Interview!

Well, it has sunk in. I understand that I am not currently employed. It's an odd feeling. For almost 11 years straight I have either been employed or in school. And for the past damn near five years I had been working for the same company and been on the same schedule. So... yeah. It's weird. On Friday it almost felt like, "Okay it's a three day weekend." And then I started to realize that there was no need for me to set my alarm to 6am on Monday. Or the day after. You get the point. I have been venting on and off through the weekend about this to my Husband and my mother. Master told His mother about it via e-mail because she had sent us a message last week about how my birthday is coming up and she wanted to get together, etc. So He wanted to explain that we won't have the gas money to do so and all that. Basically it was a "Unless you come up to our neck of the woods nothing is going to happen." And honestly, we weren't being bitchy about it at all. It was a matter of fact statement. So we'll see how that goes. Trust me, it's the last thing on my mind. I don't expect anything on my birthday and this year, at this moment, it doesn't register. I've got more important shit to worry about.

Anyway...

After I was done with my blog post on Friday I started applying to more jobs. Not more than two hours after I applied for a position at a company they called me. In fact I was kind of shocked that my cell phone was ringing to begin with because when people call me they try the house phone first. I didn't even think of the fact that I only listed my cell phone on my resume. I left the home phone off of it. That way it would be less likely for me to miss the call.

I jumped up and picked up the phone. It was the placed an application with, like I said, no more than two hours before hand. They wanted me in for an interview on Monday at 3pm. Of course I agreed immediately.

After I got all of the information and got off the phone I stood there kind of in shock for a minute but had a grin on my face. Master looked at me kind of weird and once I told Him what the call was about He looked a little shocked too.

Don't get me wrong I've been applying to jobs long before I was fired on Thursday. But the only call backs I was getting were for commission based jobs. I can sell a damn thing so I can't take those kinds of jobs.

But then, after I've been unemployed for one day and only applied to the place two hours before hand I get an interview set up? Rock on! I'm not getting my hopes up too high. I'm not going to jinx myself and say I have this in the bag. But regardless, it's a good sign. At least I think it is.

Once my mother found out about it she said she wanted to bum around with me on Sunday. (Today.) That's not unusual so I didn't really think much of it. She wanted to meet at the city in between us, which was easier on my gas tank, that's for sure. And even still she gave me a little bit of gas money to cover it, which was really sweet of her.

Apparently one of the errands she wanted to run was to take me clothes shopping for more professional clothes. I normally loathe clothes shopping, but this is important. So I was actually a little excited about it. I honestly didn't have much because my last job we could literally wear jeans and a t-shirt and the one before that, as long as we were wearing khakis and a decent shirt they were happy. I think I had three dress pants and about three or four tops.

My mother and I are both frugal. Cheap. Whatever.

So rather than spending hundreds of dollars on clothes we went to a local thrift shop. It's actually a really nice thrift shop. By that I mean it's not one of those places that you feel dirty as soon as you walk in the door. This one is exactly like any other store except the clothes are used. *shrugs* I have absolutely no problem with that. And because it was Sunday everything in the store was half off! Fuck yes!

As a result, for a whopping $20 I got four dress pants and five tops. Oddly enough it's actually easier to find pants in my size at a thrift shop than it is at a normal store. I'm petite. So finding pants that are a good fit is a bit of a hassle unless I want to spend a shit ton of money at a store that is a bit more on the expensive size where $20 wouldn't have even bought a shirt. She paid for it and said it was part of my birthday present. How awesome is that? Very. That's how much. After a couple of other errands I headed back home. I settled in a little bit and relaxed with Master. After a little while I decided I should get my ass in gear and go through all the dress clothes I already had and made sure they all still fit.

Two of the dress pants didn't. Apparently I have lost weight since I bought them. They were baggy as hell. So I got rid of those. And the shirts still fit but after looking at them compared to what I had gotten today I realized that they weren't really nice professional tops. They seemed like it when I first got them, but not anymore.

The things that didn't fit or didn't look all that professional were set aside and are no longer part of that wardrobe. I will be getting rid of them. I then put up everything that was left of what I decided to keep and the clothes I had just got. And wow.. that is a lot better of a professional wardrobe than I have ever had. And 90% of it is from a thrift store. I not only have an interview outfit, I have enough clothes that I'm pretty much set since I can mix the pants and tops as different outfits.

Once all that was done I selected an outfit for the interview tomorrow and asked Master what He thought. He said it looked great for the interview. He did say that I should probably put on a bit of eyeliner too. We both agreed that it would look a little more professional than absolutely no make-up at all.

Master is being an absolutely sweetheart and will be driving me to the interview tomorrow and then sit in the car until the interview was over. He said He would just bring a book to read. He says He wants to do it so I'm not stressing over the interview as well as driving and trying to find where the place is and then once figuring that out try and find parking.

Like I said, I'm not going to jinx anything. If this doesn't work out, something else will. If I get the job? Rock on!

2 comments: